Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Another Day at EIRMC


I found this entry from my diary. Thought I would share.

Once upon a time Jon and I were in Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. I remember it well~~~~~~~

It was a hot, summer Monday, August 18th. We were regulars on 5th Floor. Everyone knew us by name. Not a good sign. This particular afternoon, another unfamiliar doctor gave us a visit—there laid Jon in his usual bed with the common, unflattering gown, and I sat on the uncomfortable chair trying to be cheerful, watching Law and Order.

Now, I realize Docs are busy and hustle from room-to-room and patient-to-patient. This doctor was young, friendly, energetic and ready to get our visit over quickly—simply routine.


In walks the doctor. I could not place her southern accent. I will call it Texan. At this time I was unable to concentrate on what part of the country was responsible for that cute, little drawl.

"Well, hello Mr. Ward. Dr. Shull wants me to check in on a little abscess."

Man, I had been waiting all day for her. FINALLY she is here.

Jon gingerly lifted his left arm. Streaks of red appeared streaming out the sleeve.


"Oh yes. Let me turn on the lights to get a better look."

HOLY MOLY. That lady knew how to light up a room. We may have even got a suntan.

To our horror, Jon's armpit was bright red, inflamed, swollen, hard AND spreading.

"Oh yes, we will have to drain that immediately! Oh my (she begins to read Jon's chart). Dr. Shull has ordered a platelet transfusion. Hmmm. Wonder…Says here you need the platelet to help control your bleeding.

"Hmmm…we may have to do this in the operating room in the morning so I have more control over this procedure.

"Wow, (as she continues reading) your white blood cells are critically low. We can give you some medicine to help with that.

"Why do you think this abscess has happened, Mr. Ward?"


"It could be from my crutches."

"Crutches! Why do you have crutches?"

"I use them for walking since my complete hip replacement (must not have been on his chart)."

"Oh. With the procedure you will not be able to walk with crutches after tomorrow."

Hmmm…at this point we had to inform this poor lady that Jon could not have a catheter or anything invade his bowels due to other medical issues. So that raised the question, how will we get him to the bathroom? Oh the nurses would love to hear this.

"Dr., Jon has to walk in order to control his blood clots."


"BLOOD CLOTS?!?!?!"

"Yes, he has blood clots since his hip replacement—one major clot in his leg and several in his lungs."

"Blood clots in his lungs?"

"Oh, I had better have a consultation with Dr. Shull."

A little less energetic and with concern, this doctor lady tried to explain, "We will cut this area open, take out the Hard Part, put packing in and let it drain for a few days before we close it up."

At this time through our so-called adventure, I had quickly learned to question EVERYTHING, "I didn't think he could be opened up with his chemo treatments and his blood so low."

A whisper escaped her lips, "Chemo? You are on chemo? Are you currently taking the treatments now?"

"No. Actually we finished the first round last week."

"Then WHY are you in the hospital?"

"High Fever."

"Oh. Do you think this abscess is causing the fever?"


"Everyone is praying that is the reason."

Shell-shocked, she mumbled, "I believe I will hotpack it and hope it opens up on it's own. I had better find the doctor to consult."

She shut the door. Jon went to sleep. I went home.

Jon had surgery the next morning.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Way to speak up, Mom. What a nightmare!