Saturday, May 31, 2008

I've Definitely Died and gone to HEAVEN

Jon and I had not planned on visiting our grandkids until July. However, with my new retired status and nothing to keep us in Idaho Falls, we packed the car and headed due east the day before school ended (What could they do, fire me?)



That was a very l.....o......n.....g.....trip. We were entertained by the fact that Lydia called every 100 miles or so. If she hadn't called me, I would have called her.

The trip seemed real to me and I finally began to relax as we traveled through the eastern part of Yellowstone Park. We enjoyed the gorgeous weather and scenic drive. We even passed a moose!


In South Dakota, the trip changed. Storms. Not just any storm. Hurricane-style storms. Rain drops as large as basketballs and as furious as me after a school board meeting. It was impossible to see more than a few feet ahead on the freeway and being in the middle of no-where, impossible to stop.


The weather broke and the fog began. Cannot-see-in-front-of-you fog. It slowed us down--a lot. It was wonderful when a semi finally passed and Jon could follow the large tail lights.


Poor Jon. I slept almost the entire trip. My little energizer bunny-husband just kept going, going, and going. We stopped once in Wyoming for gas and once in S. Dakota. At Soiux Falls we bit the dust and pulled over for a hotel. It was 2 am. Both of us quickly fell into comas.


At 10:30 the next morning we were on our way to Lydia's. Three hours our new GPS revealed...We could do it!


Do you want to know one of the top ten moments of my life? Seeing my wonderful Tommy and Anna. That was a reunion! Anna grabbed my hand and drug me downstairs. I knew where we were going.






Everyday the week before we embarked on our vacation, PopPop and I would call the kids. I always asked Anna if I could come to her house and play in her Princess Castle. She always enthusiastically replied, "YES!!!!!!"

Anna and I found ourselves in her castle the first two minutes we stepped out of the car. I looked at Anna, she looked at me and our bonding was magical. She told me about all the princesses on her castle wall. I told her that I loved her and she was My Princess. Nothing in life is better than a moment like that.

Then there is my Tommy. As we sat down to a wonderful lunch, he demonstrated his knowledge of the alphabet as he touched the magnetic letters on the fridge and gave each sound. He is so smart. He and Jeff spent Friday night camping with the scouts. What a neat kid!


Tommy's artwork is amazing and decorates the family room.

















One most interesting masterpiece shows a family WITH WHIPS. Somewhat panicked, Lyd asked her young Monet son where he got the idea for whips. Tommy innocently replied, "from Indianna Jones." Phew.





I must say the trip to Minnesota is as wonderful (and, if possible, more than) I had envisioned. Life doesn't get any better than being with those we love!

No comments: