Monday, June 16, 2008

Sunday, June 15 Happy Father's Day

We did it! Jon and I got in the car and drove STRAIGHT to Idaho Falls. I mean straight. I think we were trying for a Guiness Book record. We only stopped for gas twice on thie 1200+ mile trip, which meant I got a potty break twice on the trip. We ate sandwiches made in Lydia's kitchen the night before, potato chips, red licorice and drank coca cola's and water. Now that is a trip!

About 11 pm while fueling in Bozeman, MT and dead tired, I simply said, "Why don't we find a hotel?"

No. West Yellowstone is only 82 miles from the gas station.

The young attendant at the Conoco reminded me to drive carefully. There had been a lot of animal 'hits' along the 'dangerous' canyon road. Maybe that was why I didn't have a heart attack when our Jetta buzzed pass the 10 ft. elk in the road a half hour later.

When we finally arrived at West I knew it was fruitless. This close to home (about 1 1/2 hours) meant WE COULD DO IT. On we went and Jon became very droggy--not a good sign. We put in Phantom of the Opera and it did help keep us both semi-awake.

Then it happened. At Last Chance near Island Park. Sherriff SUV on the right. Too late. The lights flash.

Jon immediately lets out a string of mild but firm cuss words--the same ones I was thinking. We could not figure out why he was pulling us over. Jon was only going 45 mph. With our luck the speed limit was probably 35.

"Good Evening, Sir. Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No. I really don't."

"Your tail light is out."

"Oh."

"Where are you coming from?"

At this point I was rifling through hundreds of registration and insurance forms in the jockey box. I answered, "We have driven all day from Minnesota." When he threw us in jail, I wanted him to be impressed with my bladder's stamina. I was concerned because I knew the insurance forms were not in the car. Whoops. That was something I was going to do before I left home. Forgot.

I hand him about 5 registrations.

"Um. Ma'am (so polite), these are all expired. In fact, your plates expired in April."

Oh dear. How did I let that happen?

So, here Jon and I sit in Last Chance, Idaho at 1 am, dead tired, no tail light, no proof of insurance, and no car registration because it is expired. I hope I look good in stripes.

The officer takes Jon's driver's license and walks back to his SUV. Jon and I sit in silence. He returns and says, "Well, I'm giving you many verbal warnings. Will you take care of these problems in the morning?"

"Oh yes, sir. Thank you, sir. We are sorry, sir."

Before he strides away he tells Jon to keep his speed under 50 mph. He had already responded tonight to many car/animal accidents from Island Park to Ashton. Apparently, the animals were restless.

Jon kept it under 50 even though the speed limit was 65 and we were in a hurry to get home. We were awake now. And very grateful.

About 15 minutes later, a car shows up in our rearview mirror. I couldn't understand why the car didn't catch up and pass us. When the car turned around we noticed it was the nice young officer. Another phew for the night.

We made it home! Now for the laundry.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm glad you guys made it home safely and ticketless. Thanks again for the fun visit! Can't wait to see ya in a few weeks!

Ann said...

Cute Picture, Lyd!

Dotty Evanson said...

Road trips are the best! Glad you made it home in one piece. I love checking your blog.
Hugs,
Dot

Lydia said...

Wow, someone other than me posted a comment! Nice.

Ann said...

Yes, and I didn't read the comment for an entire week!

Welcome home, DOT!!!!