Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Historical Day--Mondays with Jack, Part 1

Jack gets to be with Grandma and PopPop every Monday. All three of us look forward to Monday as our favorite day of the week. Today is one of the most important days in Jack's life—the first day of school.

I pick him up in the morning from Jaker's where Kristin is managing. First on the agenda is a haircut. Angie at the Hair Company cuts his hair.

Wow, the kid looks great!

Then off to Linden Park Elementary at 11:30 am.

We are the first ones to arrive at Mrs. Page's room. Jack finds his name and takes his seat.

Then Kristin arrives.

I am ready to leave when I notice three grandmas sitting in the back of the room. Grateful for small miracles, I join the grandma section. One can recognize the "grandmas" because we do not have nervous smiles as we pull cameras from huge ugly purses and begin taking gadzillions of pictures.

This is Mrs. Page.
She has taught kindergarten for 12 years. My first impression: Impressive, professional, no-nonsense, organized, warm, disciplinarian, enjoys kids, and Jack is going to have the most fantastic experience ever. Phew!




IT'S A SMALL WORLD

I love coincidences.
  • The principal, Mr. Wagner, was Kristin's principal in fifth grade when we moved into our new home. Of course, he remembers her and they have a nice reunion.

  • The teacher next door to the right is Kristin's favorite ISU professor, Mrs. Lowinski. They have a warm, friendly reunion.

  • The teacher next door to the left is Annette Scott. Annette is married to Neal Scott (Jon and I went to Malad High with him). He was our bishop in Cloverdale. Annette gives Kristin a big hug.
  • Jack's teacher is married to one of my favorite principals that I worked with for 12 years.

Jack will be watched over, I'm sure.

After a few rules and introductions, Jack joins four others at his first learning center. Today was Play dough. What a blast.


Finally it is story time. As Mrs. Page introduces the book "The Three Billy Goats Gruff," Jack's hand flies up. I am happy for two things: First, he knows not to talk out loud, but to raise his hand. Second, he is not afraid to speak.

What did he say: "I've already heard this story."

Oh man, this is on the list of 10 least favorite things teachers want to hear. But Jack said it so cutely that I'm sure no one cared.
Of course, the next time his hand goes up, the teacher wisely ignores him. The right hand goes up, and then the left. I smile.







Kindergarten is looking to be a wonderful year!












And the best part of the day? When we drive over the river and through the woods to McDonald's on the way home to Grandma's where we play Star Wars and light sabers the rest of the day.


3 comments:

Lydia said...

What a cute post! Jack looks so old in this, and I just saw him a month ago! So...I can't believe how lucky you guys are to stay and hang out on the first day. Mother's in Tommy's new school is a big NO, so I guess I'll live vicariously through this post. I love the image you created with all the old lady paparazzi in the back. Too funny. You're such a cute grandma, Mom, and these kids are so lucky to have grandparents who love them so much! Thanks!

Ann said...

Thanks, Lydia.

Jon Ward said...

This retirement thing is fantastic. It is so much fun to see you enjoying moments like this instead of hauling posters and projects to some contest. The year will be incredible, and it will be fun to see how much our two kindergarten boys change as they begin to discover a world of reading.