Friday, August 8, 2008

FIRST Friday Flashback 8/8/08

My favorite blog readings are Lydia's Flashback Fridays. They make me smile, laugh, and sometimes relieved that I didn't know what she was up to while growing up. All in all, it is something I look forward to every week.

With that, I think I shall begin my own Friday Flashback. There is no significance with starting with this picture. I found it easily so here goes:

I have no idea how old I was here. I had the same hairdo from age 3 when I got hair to 5th grade when I got a "new do." I still have this same haircut. But back to the fish...
My brothers caught these. When they went back to work after their fishing lunch hour, mom grabbed them and the camera and took my picture. I think it is funny.
All the Thomas kids fished. My first memory was at 4 years old. My parents had just built the new house on South Main in 1957. Having hardwood floors throughout, my mom bought a huge rug for the living room. It came rolled up on a bamboo pole. My dad simply cut it in half and that was mine and Marvin's first fishing poles.
We headed to Weston Reservoir (up Deep Creek Canyon). My dad, David and Dennis all had real poles with real reels. Our bamboo pole was tied with string of fishing line and a hook complete with a worm.
Being four and five years old, my dad simply told Marv and I if we caught a fish we should run up the hill. We must have been in a hole of perch because we ran up that hill a lot. I remember my dad not being able to cast his own pole into the water. He was too busy taking fish off our lines and re-worming my hook.
Our favorite fishing holes were Crowther's (until Danny K Evans drown while swimming with my cousin Griff Davis--then it was off limits), Deep Creek (until someone saw a rattlesnake up there) and Kid's Pond in St. John, especially the back waters. I learned to kill and clean my own fish. Never did like to eat them, however. My Grandma Peterson ate all the fish I caught and brought home during my fishing career (about 2).

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I'm lovin' this Flashback Friday stuff! Great post, Mom. By the way, I'm back from up North and I survived. It was a lot of fun and very beautiful.